17. Do you write your story from start to finish, or do you write the scenes out of order?
I almost always write from start to finish. Occasionally, I will get stuck and just write the next scene and then go fill in that gap, but even that doesn’t happen very often. I don’t always know where something is going to go, so if I write out of order, I feel like I’m cornering myself in, somehow.
23. If you were to revise one of your older fics from start to finish, which would it be and why?
OH BOY, it would be this Harry Potter Fic which is like weirdly popular but also very bad. I wrote it in 2005 which means I was like 19 or 20 and it is super cliched. Like, I guess I still could go and make it less sucky but it’s over 51,000 words so we all know I’m not going to do that ever at all.
2. Is there a trope you’ve yet to try your hand at, but really want to?
ALIENS MADE THEM DO IT. I want to write it one hundred times. Have I done it before? I don’t think so. Kind of a little, but not enough. Never enough.
24. Have you ever deleted one of your published fics?
I think there are fics that are gone, now, because the place they were posted is no longer there but I don’t delete things. I like that you can see how people improve over time. I like having that record for myself.
31. Do you take liberties with canon or are you very strict about your fic being canon compliant?
I mean. I don’t just like make shit up and pretend it’s canon but I’ll go AU all over the place, I love AU. I don’t need to stay canon to stay happy.
14. What’s the worst writing advice you’ve ever come across?
I guess anyone who says, “you’re not good at this, you should stop” like somehow writing is some sort of savant gift that either you have or you don’t. Writing is definitely something you get better at with practice.
29. If you could write the sequel (or prequel) to any fic out there not written by yourself, which would you choose?
HO HOOO. Did you know that occasionally, people want to write sequels to my stuff or fics that takes place in the same universe and that always makes me feel weird, but then, I guess that’s what all fanfic is. Meta thought for the day. I would certainly like if someone fixed your evil fifth fic, be it you or me, CHRISTINE.
34. What are your thoughts on non-con and dub-con?
I feel worse about non-con than I do about dub-con, which I think makes me terrible? But also I feel very not judgey about what people like to read, so whatever.
38.Talk about a review that made your day.
bethanyactually leaves THE BEST REVIEWS. She goes, like, line by line and pics out all her favorite parts of your fic and then tells you why they are her favorite and her reviews are always super long and nice. So any one from her!
6. Share one of your weaknesses.
I feel like I just write the same story over and over again.
9. Which fic has been the hardest to write?
I mean, probably the whole Beauty and Nothing More series was the most emotionally difficult to write because everyone was miserable and nothing got better, the end. WHICH IS NOT TO SAY that I don’t love it, I do, it just took a long time and was hard.
10. Which fic has been the easiest to write?
I crank out 5 things really easily. There’s something about the format that feels like cotton candy, it’s just easy. I wrote But We Only Stay in Orbit for a Moment of Time for nandamai and it was the first Voyager I’d written in a while and it felt like old times, I liked it.
13. What’s the best writing advice you’ve ever come across?
15. If you could choose one of your fics to be filmed, which would you choose?
omgggg. HOW DO YOU EVEN CHOOSE. I think I would pick The Rainy Season which was based on The Light. Like everyone bumping around that Goa’uld Pleasure Palace just being hella tense and horny. Also, I really liked that set, so.
21. How many times do you usually revise your fic/chapter before posting?
I sort of re-read and revise as I go. I generally have replicarters and zhouyi beta something for me if it’s a long story, but otherwise I’m just constantly rereading as I write. And then when it’s all done, I try to read the whole thing out loud to myself because you can find problems that way easily.
28. Share three of your favorite fic writers and why you like them so much.
nandamai is one of my favorites and we have a lot of fandoms in common. zhouyi writes these small, sharp painful little monsters that like stick in your teeth and you gotta think about for days and days. next-great-adventure has this really unique style that has a very strong sense of urgency to it and it always makes me feel like I’m right THERE and it’s HAPPENING and I am IN IT and I just really admire how she does that.
Thanks for asking me some questions today!
THAT WAS FAST :D
5. Share one of your strengths.
I write fast. I mean, I have times where I feel blocked and I don’t produce much, but when I write, it comes out pretty easy (haha) like every word is not a struggle.
8. Share a snippet from one of your favorite dialogue scenes you’ve written and explain why you’re proud of it.
Perhaps this is not “the best” but it’s immediately what I thought of when I read this question so…
She takes Alan’s sports car. She doesn’t usually drive his car. She’d gotten it for him for father’s day and it’s his alone, but her Audi has been making this odd noise and he has the Volvo and she feels sassy. The hotel will have valet. It’s fine.
Damian is drunk in the hotel lobby, standing by the elevator with a drink in both hands. His face is comical when he sees her, strutting toward him on those impossibly high heels.
“Well fuck,” he says. “No mixed signal there.”
“Just stopping in to say hello,” she says. He rolls his eyes.
“With your vagina?” he asks.
“Shut up,” she says. “Don’t judge me tonight.”
“Sorry,” he says. “Sorry.”
The doors open, they walk in. It’s kind of lucky he was there - she has no idea where she’s going.
“You look… a little scary,” he says. “Too hot.”
“I feel like I’m in costume,” she says. “We bought this dress for Helen.”
“We bought that dress for you,” he says. “Magnus only borrowed what you had.”
From here. Um, like, I don’t know, but “With your vagina?” makes me laugh every time.
20. Describe your perfect writing conditions.
blub blub I don’t know. I guess at home alone on a rainy day? Mostly I don’t get a lot of time to write anymore so I just steal snippets here at there like when I’m at work or waiting for something else and have a few minutes. I guess the answer is having a big chunk of time. But when I get that, I squander it on something else. I DON’T KNOW. Bad at life.
- Describe your comfort zone—a typical you-fic.
- Is there a trope you’ve yet to try your hand at, but really want to?
- Is there a trope you wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole?
- How many fic ideas are you nurturing right now? Care to share one of them?
- Share one of your strengths.
- Share one of your weaknesses.
- Share a snippet from one of your favorite pieces of prose you’ve written and explain why you’re proud of it.
- Share a snippet from one of your favorite dialogue scenes you’ve written and explain why you’re proud of it.
- Which fic has been the hardest to write?
- Which fic has been the easiest to write?
- Is writing your passion or just a fun hobby?
- Is there an episode above all others that inspires you just a little bit more?
- What’s the best writing advice you’ve ever come across?
- What’s the worst writing advice you’ve ever come across?
- If you could choose one of your fics to be filmed, which would you choose?
- If you only could write one pairing for the rest of your life, which pairing would it be?
- Do you write your story from start to finish, or do you write the scenes out of order?
- Do you use any tools, like worksheets or outlines?
- Stephen King once said that his muse is a man who lives in the basement. Do you have a muse?
- Describe your perfect writing conditions.
- How many times do you usually revise your fic/chapter before posting?
- Choose a passage from one of your earlier fics and edit it into your current writing style. (Person sending the ask is free to make suggestions).
- If you were to revise one of your older fics from start to finish, which would it be and why?
- Have you ever deleted one of your published fics?
- What do you look for in a beta?
- Do you beta yourself? If so, what kind of beta are you?
- How do you feel about collaborations?
- Share three of your favorite fic writers and why you like them so much.
- If you could write the sequel (or prequel) to any fic out there not written by yourself, which would you choose?
- Do you accept prompts?
- Do you take liberties with canon or are you very strict about your fic being canon compliant?
- How do you feel about smut?
- How do you feel about crack?
- What are your thoughts on non-con and dub-con?
- Would you ever kill off a canon character?
- Which is your favorite site to post fic?
- Talk about your current wips.
- Talk about a review that made your day.
- Do you ever get rude reviews and how do you deal with them?
- Write an alternative ending to [insert fic title] (or just the summary of one).
Chronic pain sufferers are not addicted to pain killers. Chronic pain sufferers are addicted to not having to be aware of every inch of their body for every waking moment. Chronic pain sufferers are addicted to the freedom of nothingness, and don’t you dare judge them for wanting something you get free of charge.
Oh my gosh…YES!
That’s what I tell my mother. I’m not addicted to pain killers. I’m addicted to not being in pain.(via chronicallyalive)